The incumbent in this position is responsible for managing, coordinating and directing the activities of front desk, PBX, bell services, and Rock Shop sections in accordance with corporate policy and in a manner which will maximize guest service and staff productivity, while minimizing costs; responsible for achieving revenue and customer service objectives; maintaining departmental policies and procedures; assists the Manager of Hotel Operations in the administration of the department.
(The following statements are intended as general illustrations of the work in this class and are not all inclusive for specific positions.)
- Hires, trains, motivates, evaluates, and manages staff, ensuring proper staffing and that employees receive adequate guidance and resources for achievement of job responsibilities and meet departmental goals.
- Manages and coordinates the operation of the front desk, PBX, bell services, and the Rock Shop to ensure efficiency and that the best possible service is provided to guests; makes necessary adjustments to ensure proper facilitation of guests' needs.
- Ensures that all front desk, PBX, bell services, and the Rock Shop personnel are properly trained in their duties and that all arriving and departing Hotel guests are provided with prompt and courteous service.
- Responsible for personnel and customer issues for the hotel and Rock Shop. Investigates and resolves customer complaints and comments; follows up with involved departments to resolve the matter to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Establishes and maintains effective controls to ensure adherence to department procedures; directs the investigation and correction of shortages and errors; recommends changes in procedures, equipment and physical layout to ensure maximum service, efficiency and security of company funds.
- Works with Hotel Manager in planning for hotel promotions and special events reservations to ensure most strategic room blocks and facilitation of room service to guests.
- Schedules employees in all areas of the hotel and Rock Shop to achieve maximum coverage in order to provide adequate guest service while maintaining labor cost within budget.
- Maintains established credit policies; takes appropriate action in obtaining payments when guest ledger accounts exceed normal limits, and assists in any collection problems on overdue accounts.
- Processes invoices, packing slips, receiving documents, short shipments, and SKU conflicts.
- Assists in developing and creating merchandise displays that will lead to improved sales.
- On a daily basis, maintains inventories at an acceptable level based upon historical seasonal sales records.
- Monitors and evaluates the Rock Shop on a daily basis to ensure operations on a profitable basis.
- Conducts periodic inventories of merchandise and equipment in accordance with prescribed schedules; prepares required reports and acts as a liaison with retail shop supervisors of other hotels to ensure the employment of the latest merchandising techniques.
- Responsible for ensuring all Box Office duties are complete, including will-call tickets, ticket sales, and casino/marketing promotions.
WORKING CONDITIONS/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Communicate effectively at all times, with customers as wells as all levels of employees.
- Use all equipment associated with position, including but not limited to 10-key, computer and basic computer programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Review reports; observe and direct activities of subordinates.
- Operate in a working environment that is subject to varying levels of crowds, noise, and smoke, depending on customer volume.
- Move effectively and efficiently around the property.
- Twist, lift up to 20 pounds, and push/pull up to 20 pounds in order to created merchandise displays, maintain inventory levels, and perform other job duties.
- Manage and motivate team members.
Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in overall hotel operations and/or retail operations.
Knowledge of Micros Opera hotel computer systems, telephone systems, and effective communications techniques.
Knowledge of statistics.
These skills and abilities are typically acquired through a minimum of 2 years successful experience in hotel operations and/or retail outlet operations. A bachelor's degree in hotel, fashion merchandising, business, or institutional management or related area is preferred.
REGULATORY AND COMPLIANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
In addition to the other duties described herein, each and every employee has the following responsibilities related to compliance with laws and regulations:
- Attend required training sessions offered by the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Sioux City.
- Perform the duties described in compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Take the necessary steps to ensure minors are not allowed to gamble or loiter in gambling areas, drink alcoholic beverages, or purchase tobacco.
- Have knowledge of the ordinances, regulations, laws, policies, and procedures relating to the employee’s department.
- Have knowledge of the Property’s programs to address problem gambling.
- Consults with the appropriate individuals and maintains and effective system of written policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure compliance with Iowa Gaming Regulations and Internal Controls.
- Takes the appropriate steps to investigate exceptions, fraud, and potential violations and report such instances to the appropriate levels of management.
- Reports any acts of wrongdoing on behalf of any staff member that they have knowledge of.